This was a great quick comforting soup for us tonight. I love red lentils not only because they are not only quick cooking, but are packed with nutritious benefits. Oil free, dairy free & so delicious! My hubby had two bowls… unfortunately… no leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
- 1 medium Onion, Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 3-4 Tablespoons Sun dried Tomatoes, Sliced
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1 Inch Piece of Ginger, Sliced
- 1 1/2 – 2 Cups Crushed Can Tomatoes (I had leftover canned whole tomatoes and just pulsed them to the right consistency)
- 2 Cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro & Avocado to Garnish
Heat pan over medium high heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt, stir consistently to keep onions from sticking to the bottom of the pan. If the onions begin to stick, just add a little water or stock to the pan. Saute the onion until soft, add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds before adding the sun dried tomatoes & dry spices. Cook until fragrant.
Stir in the tomato paste, ginger & water (or stock). Add the lentils (make sure you rinse the lentils and take out any stones that might be there). Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally so that the lentils don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Add the coconut milk, bring to a boil and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro & avocado and enjoy!